Change – wherefor art thou?

Change comes from within, on a individual level. No change can occur in the life of an individual until the INNER process of change is under way – I believe this is the same for the collective, the edge (which we may assume we are on because we have different hopes and larger dreams than most) is not on the “surface”, it is close to the core, and the change we make while firmly embedded in the ‘systems’ of this planet, are the precursors to societal change at scale.

In other words, the world in which we are immersed cannot change until we change ourselves. The thoughts, beliefs and behaviours we engage and enact in everyday life manifest the world of our experience. When we are dissatisfied, or indeed distressed with what we see “out there” in the world, are we motivated to protest? to advocate for change? or complain?

Do any of the strategies we use, effectively make the changes we wish to see actually happen?

I invite the reader to engage an inquiry along the lines of the one I have begun here in this post. Record your observations, tweak your approach, record some more. Be the best change maker you can possibly be. Which techniques are the most effective? which are inadequate?

When you try the inner change method, what happens?

I would love to hear about your discoveries as this process unfolds for you, please, make contact, share your insights, together we may just discover the key to effective change making!

One Comment

  1. From comments to a facebook thread about this post, reproduced with permission:

    Kerstin Tuschik https://www.facebook.com/kerstin.tuschik

    A couple of thoughts:
    In my experience with myself and others I have been working with, change happens when all our aspects agree to that change. It is not enough to want it in our minds. We need our emotions, our bodies, and even our different sub-personalities as well. If–let’s say–only 80 percent of us wants the change, then the other 20 percent will work against the change, which often results in challenging situations, in which it seems that our choice gets tested. This goes on until we either give up or our other parts will be convinced that the change is good for them as well.

    In terms of collective change, I think the next step is to create real practice communities who agree upon certain values and a shared purpose. And here I think it is quite the same that even small percentages of the collective (be it intra-personal or inter-personal) do not totally agree to that purpose or values they will (unconsciously) work against it. So, clarifying the intention and working with the parts that are still in doubt, needs to be part of the practice.

    From there I think it is a lot of self-organization involved (like in an ant-hill or a slime-mold), where our loving actions with and for those in our circles of influence will create ripples of love through the system.

    I have to admit though that while I have extended experiences with what I describe in my first comment, I am still in the process of testing the other two processes…

    Like

    Reply

your thoughts?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s